Roasted courgette and couscous salad
This summer apart from our usual cherry tomatoes and chillies, we tried planting courgettes and now the plant has been on a roll! We've been harvesting 1-2 courgettes every week so included this lovely vegetable in my couscous salad. I have cooked couscous many times before but I absolutely loved the flavours when I made it this time around, so thought of sharing this recipe.The salad requires a bit of prep work with all the grilling and roasting, but if you wish, you can skip roasting the peppers by using roasted peppers in a jar instead.
This recipe contains courgettes, bell peppers, tomatoes (cherry), onions (green/spring), couscous, vegetable stock, mint (dried), olive oil (extra virgin), lemon juice, raisins
Serves 2 - 3 servings
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 40 min
- 1 courgette (zucchini), sliced
- 1 & 1/2 Mixed peppers (I used yellow and red), roughly chopped
- 100 gms cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 200 gms plain dried couscous
- 300 ml hot vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp dried mint
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil and some extra to drizzle
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Handful of raisins
- 1. Preheat the oven to 220C. Put the peppers in a roasting tin, drizzle with some olive oil and season with some salt. Roast them in the oven for 25-30 minutes, tossing them halfway through.
- 2. Put the couscous in a large bowl with the raisins. Pour in the stock. Cover and leave aside for 5-10 minutes or until all the stock has been absorbed.
- 3. In the meantime, in a bowl, add the sliced courgettes, drizzle with some olive oil and some salt. Coat well. Place a griddle pan over high heat. Cook the courgettes for 4-5 minutes, turning halfway through until softened and browned.
- 4. On the same griddle pan, toss the tomatoes and spring onions for a few minutes until lightly browned.
- 5. Combine 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice and the dried mint.
- 6. Fluff up the couscous with a fork. Add the courgettes, tomatoes and spring onions. Mix lightly. Drizzle with the olive oil, lemon and mint dressing. Season well and stir.