Roasted Marshmallow Meringue Frosting and How I Acquired a Plumber's Torch
Give your favorite cake a supermodel makeover, dressed in a brown sugar marshmallow meringue frosting torched to caramelly perfection.
This recipe contains eggs, brown sugar, cream of tartar, vanilla extract
2 cups servings
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 10 min
- 4 free-range egg whites
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 vanilla bean or 2 tsp extract
- 1. Fill a heavy pot 1/3 full of water and place over medium heat.
- 2. Separate eggs and reserve yolks for another recipe.
- 3. Collect whites in a clean, heatproof mixing bowl.
- 4. Add brown sugar and mix to combine.
- 5. Clip a candy thermometer to the side of the mixing bowl and place the bowl over pot of hot water.
- 6. Stir constantly until the thermometer registers 160*F, about 10 minutes.
- 7. Remove from heat, add cream of tartar and beat on high until stiff peaks form, another 7 minutes or so.
- 8. Now, the fun part: Frost the cake, making swirly patterns.
- 9. Pull: Using the flat side of a spatula or knife, touch the frosting and lift 90 degrees away from the cake, to form little curly peaks.
- 10. Torch: Roast the waves of frosting with your new torch and serve.