Roasted Pistachio Pesto
Roasted Pistachio Pesto - a fun twist on a classic! Perfect tossed in pasta, smeared on bread, or stirred into my quinoa minestrone!
This recipe contains fresh basil, garlic, pistachios, olive oil, lemon juice, cheese (pecorino), salt
1 cup servings
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 10 min
- 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup roasted pistachios, plus more for optional garnish
- 2/3 cup olive oil, more to less for desired consistency
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup Pecorino Romano cheese, shredded
- Salt, to taste
- 1. Roasted Pistachios:
- 2. Shell pistachios and preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Spread the pistachios on a rimmed cookie sheet. They should be in a single layer for even roasting.
- 3. Roast for 6 - 8 minutes, stirring halfway through, or until the pistachios are fragrant and lightly browned.
- 4. Pesto:
- 5. Place basil, garlic, and roasted pistachios into a food processor. Process until the mixture is smooth. You may need to stop and scrape down the sides of the food processor. Once smooth (there will still be some small chunks), slowly pour in the olive oil, lemon juice, and pecorino romano cheese while the food processor is running.
- 6. Process until the mixture is smooth, again, you may need to scrape down the sides of the food processor.
- 7. Season with salt, and serve immediately over pasta, toasted bread, use it as pizza sauce, etc!