Soft Pretzel Rolls
Soft Pretzel Rolls - chewy, buttery perfection on their own, but these make a killer panini, too!
This recipe contains , milk, butter, sugar (brown), yeast (dry), salt, flour (all-purpose), , water, baking soda, , , garlic powder,
8 Rolls servings
Prep time: 1 hr +
Cook time: 25 min
- 1 cup milk, I used skim
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 packet dry active yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- Boiling Solution:
- 12 cups water
- 3/4 cup baking soda
- Butter Wash:
- 2 Tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pinch of coarse salt, optional for topping
- 1. Heat milk and butter together until the mixture reaches 110 degrees F. Combine this with a packet of yeast and brown sugar in a large mixing bowl. Stir in salt and 2 cups of flour. Beat this on low in your stand mixer for 3 minutes.
- 2. Now, slowly add in one more cup of flour. Once combined, dump out onto a well floured surface. Knead this until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes.
- 3. Next, place the dough in a greased bowl, cover with a kitchen towel, and let rise for 90 minutes. The dough will have significantly risen.
- 4. Make a boiling solution by combining 12 cups of water and ¾ cup of baking soda together in a large pot. Bring this to a boil while you're shaping your dough. To do this, punch the dough down and divide it into 8 equal pieces. It's really important to form each piece into a tight, smooth ball. Check out this article to see how to form perfect dough balls!
- 5. Boil each dough ball for 1 minute and then flip it over and boil the other side for another minute. Remove from the boiling solution with a slotted spoon and set aside. Repeat this process with each pretzel dough ball!
- 6. Preheat an oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with a silicone mat. Place the pretzel dough balls onto the lined baking sheet and brush the tops with a mixture of melted butter and garlic powder. Then cut a cross in the top. You can sprinkle these with a pinch of coarse salt, too, if you like!
- 7. Now bake these for 10 minutes. Then reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees F and bake for an additional 8 - 12 minutes. The soft pretzel rolls should be nicely browned on top and fluffy in the middle!
- 8. Remove these from the oven and immediately let cool on a wire cooling rack.