Solerito: Peruvian Fava Bean and Tomato Salad
This recipe is from a Latin cooking boot camp taken at the Culinary Institute of America (CIA) in San Antonio, Texas.*Note: look for asterisked ingredients in your local Latin market or on Amazon.com.
This recipe contains cheese (queso fresco), beans (fava), tomatoes, onions (red), corn (kernels), olive oil, limes, white vinegar, cilantro (fresh), salt, pepper
Prep time: 1 hr +
- 1/2 lb. queso fresco, small dice
- 3 lb. fava beans in the pods
- 1 lb. tomatoes, seeds removed, small dice
- 1/2 lb. red onion, halved, heart removed, rinsed in cold water, finely diced
- Choclo (Peruvian corn kernels), blanched in boiling water (*see note above in About section)
- 4 oz. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 whole Mexican limes, juiced
- 1/4 cup(s) white vinegar
- Huacatay leaves or cilantro, finely chopped,
- 1 ds. Salt to taste
- 1 ds. Pepper to taste
- 1. Shell the fava beans and blanch in boiling water (seasoned with salt). Immerse in an ice bath and remove the outer skin from the beans. Set beans aside.
- 2. Transfer the chopped ingredients to a bowl with the cooked fava beans and corn. Mix all the ingredients with the lime juice, vinegar and olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper and huacatay or cilantro.
- 3. Serve chilled.