Spicy and Creamy Potato Chowder
A delicious soup to warm up your hearts on cold afternoons :).
This recipe contains vegetable oil, onions, carrots, celery, garlic, potatoes, vegetable broth, flour (all-purpose), milk (low fat), heavy cream, cheese (cheddar, shredded), parsley, salt, pepper, ground red pepper, cumin powder, turmeric
5-6 cups servings
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 40 min
- Oil or Butter : 1 tbsp
- Onions : 1/4 cup finely chopped
- Carrots : 1/4 cup finely chopped
- Celery : 1/4 cup finely chopped
- Garlic : 1 tsp minced
- Potatoes : 2 medium finely chopped
- Water or vegetable broth/stock : 4 cups
- Refined flour : 1/4 cup
- Milk skim : 1/2 cup
- Heavy cream optional : 1/4 cup
- Cheddar cheese : 2 tbsp optional
- Parsley : to garnish
- Salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Red pepper powder : 1/8 tsp, optional
- Cumin powder : 1/2 tsp, optional
- Turmeric : 1/8 tsp for golden appearance of the soup, optional
- 1. Heat oil or butter in pot. Add onions, garlic, carrots and celery to the pot and sauté for 3–4 minutes till soft.
- 2. Add potatoes and spices to it. Add 4 cups water and bring it to boil.
- 3. Mix 1/4 cup refined flour to 1/2 cup milk and mix well so that there are no lumps. Add this flour and milk mixture to potatoes. Stir well.
- 4. Lower the flame and simmer for 10 minutes till potatoes are soft.
- 5. Cool the potatoes thick soup and then blend in blender either coarse or fine.
- 6. Pour it back to the pot and add cream and cheese if you plan to. Adjust salt and pepper. If the soup looks thick, add more broth or water as desired.
- 7. Warm it up. Ladle in soup bowls and top with cheese and parsley. Dig in or scoop with French baguette.