Spicy Sweet Potato-Apple Soup
Three sweet potatoes sat alone on a shelf in my pantry. I couldn't remember what I bought them for, so I moved them to the kitchen counter to use them for dinner. At first, I was going to scrub them and bake them. They would have been a fine complement to the beef tenderloin that I roasted earlier in the afternoon. Then I considered slicing them into thin slivers and roasting them with a kiss of olive oil, sea salt and pepper. I was sold on that idea, but then I noticed the bowl of apples on my counter. I recalled buying fresh jalapeno peppers at the market earlier in the morning and then within minutes, I pulled out my six court stock pot and began peeling and chopping to create what would become this lush and silky soup.
This recipe contains butter, onions (yellow), olive oil, jalapenos, garlic, potatoes, apples (gala), chicken stock, cinnamon, bay leaves, sea salt, black pepper, brown sugar, parsley (fresh), sour cream
Serves 6-8 servings
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 40 min
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium sweet yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1 inch cubes
- 2 small organic gala apples, peeled, cored, chopped into 1 inch cubes
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 small bay leaf
- Sea salt
- black pepper
- Brown sugar
- Flat leaf parsley (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- 1. In a 6 quart pan, melt butter on medium heat. Add sliced onions and cook 10 minutes or until translucent.
- 2. Add olive oil, jalapeño and garlic. Stir and cook another 2-3 minutes careful not to brown.
- 3. Add sweet potatoes, apples and chicken stock, cinnamon and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cover with vented lid. Simmer for 15-17 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- 4. Remove bay leaf. Remove pan from heat.
- 5. Mash potatoes and apples with a hand masher.
- 6. Use an immersion blender to smooth out soup or blend in batches in a food processor.
- 7. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 8. Ladle into bowls. Add brown sugar, sour cream & parsley. Serve immediately.