Spicy Tofu Peanut Kebobs
Warmer weather means more outdoor entertaining. If your guests are vegetarian, these spicy tofu and vegetable kebobs are a crowd-pleaser for veggie-lovers and meat-eaters alike. The peanut sauce also works well as a marinade for shrimp, chicken or pork. Prep time: 15 minutes Marinating time: 20 minutes Grilling time: 5 minutes Makes 4 servings
This recipe contains tofu (firm), peanut butter, miso paste, ginger (fresh), limes, soy sauce, sriracha sauce, water, onions (red), bell peppers (yellow), skewers, peanuts, mint (fresh), limes
4 serving servings
Prep time: 25 min
Cook time: 10 min
- 1 block extra-firm tofu (12 oz/350 g)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) peanut butter
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) light miso
- 1/2-inch (1-cm) piece ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 1 lime for juice
- 2 tsp (10 ml) soy sauce
- 2 tsp (10 ml) hot Asian chili garlic sauce
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) water
- 1/3 small red onion
- 1 yellow pepper
- 4 skewers (metal or pre-soaked wood)
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) coarsely chopped peanuts
- 2 tbsp mint, coarsely chopped
- Lime wedges (optional)
- 1. Generously grease grill and preheat barbecue to medium-high. Place tofu on several layers of paper towel then cover with additional paper towel. Place a plate on top of paper towel, then a heavy object such as a jar of peanut butter, to press out any water from tofu. Let stand 20 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir peanut butter with miso, ginger, 2 tbsp (30 ml) lime juice from the lime, soy sauce and chili garlic sauce until combined. Whisk in water.
- 3. Cut tofu into chunks, 1 to 1½ inches (2.5 to 4 cm) in size; they will be rectangular in shape. Add to peanut butter mixture and stir. Cut yellow pepper and onion into pieces about the same size as tofu.
- 4. Once the grill is nearly preheated, thread tofu, pepper and red onion onto skewers. Barbecue, turning and brushing with any remaining marinade, for a total of 5 to 6 minutes. Serve with lime wedges on a platter sprinkled with peanuts and mint.
- 5. Tip: On colder days, turn on the stove broiler and cook for 6 minutes, turning throughout the cook time.