Spring Pea and Asparagus Risotto
This risotto is a delicious spring meal. Serve with a simple green salad and crusty French bread.
This recipe contains chicken broth, white wine dry, unsalted butter, olive oil, arborio rice, peas, asparagus, cheese (parmesan), lemons, salt (kosher), black pepper
4 - 6 Servings
Prep time: < 5 min
Cook time: 50 min
- 6 cup(s) chicken broth
- 1 cup(s) dry white wine
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cup(s) Arborio rice
- 1 cup(s) fresh or frozen peas (thaw peas if using frozen)
- 1 1/2 cup(s) asparagus, cooked and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
- kosher salt
- black pepper
- 1. In a medium saucepan, combine chicken broth and white wine and heat just to simmering. Keep warm.
- 2. In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and add olive oil. Add the rice and stir. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until the grains are translucent around the edges. Be careful not to allow the grains to brown.
- 3. Reduce the heat to low. Add enough of the wine and chicken stock just to cover the top of the rice. Stir often, until the liquid is completely absorbed into rice. Once absorbed, add another amount of liquid just to cover the rice and continue stirring or moving as before. Continue until all the stock/wine has been used. It should take approximately 35 to 40 minutes for all of the liquid to be absorbed. After the last addition of liquid has been mostly absorbed, add the peas and asparagus and stir until risotto is creamy and asparagus is heated through. Remove from the heat and stir in the Parmesan and lemon zest. Taste and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.