Spring Risotto with Shrimp, Asparagus and Artichoke Hearts
Simple and delicious spring-inspired risotto with shrimp, asparagus and artichoke hearts. Using fresh, seasonal ingredients help balance the heartiness of the risotto to make this a dish that can be eaten year round!
This recipe contains chicken broth, butter (unsalted), shallots, garlic (fresh), rice (arborio), wine (white, dry), asparagus, peas, artichoke hearts, shrimp, lemons, cheese (parmesan), salt, pepper
4-6 People servings
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 25 min
- 2 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth (you may not need all)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 garlic glove, minced
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (I used chardonnay)
- 1/2 cup asparagus, chopped
- 1/4 cup peas
- 1/4 cup artichoke hearts
- 10-15 shrimp, peeled & deveined
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (a small lemon)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1. In a small saucepan, bring chicken/vegetable broth to a boil. Once boiled, reduce heat to low and keep hot.
- 2. In a separate large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat then add garlic and shallot and saute for 2-3 minutes, until softened. Add rice and stir, then add in the wine and stir until nearly absorbed by the rice.
- 3. Add ¼ cup of the hot broth, stirring until absorbed. Keep adding the broth, ¼ cup at a time, and stirring constantly until it is nearly absorbed before adding more. This took a couple of minutes for each cup of broth to absorb.
- 4. After about 10-15 minutes, depending on how long the broth takes to absorb, the rice start becoming tender. When there is about 1 cup of hot broth left, toss in the asparagus, peas and artichoke hearts and continue to stir.
- 5. When there is about ½ cup of hot broth left, add shrimp, continue stirring constantly until all the hot broth has been added. Taste rice for tenderness and to determine if any additional hot broth needs to be added. The rice should be tender and the liquid should be creamy.
- 6. Top with freshly grated lemon zest, stir in grated parmesan and season with salt and pepper and serve hot!