Strawberries and Cream Scones
Strawberries and Cream? I don't care when or where you're making these somebody mow the lawn now cause it's tastin' like Wimbledon.
This recipe contains flour, sugar, baking powder, lemons, salt, cinnamon, butter, heavy cream, milk, strawberries, eggs, sugar (raw)
8 large scones servings
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 15 min
- 2 cup flour
- 1/3 cup granulated white sugar
- 2 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- the zest of one lemon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup cold butter, preferably cut into cubes and chilled before use
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2-3 tablespoon milk, or until the mixture is slightly moistened
- 1/2 cup diced strawberries, thoroughly washed and dried
- 1 egg lightly beaten mixed with a tablespoon of water for egg wash
- sprinkle with coarse raw sugar
- 1. Preheat the oven to 425F.
- 2. Cube and chill butter.
- 3. Combine dry ingredients, flour, sugar, baking powder, lemon zest, salt, and cinnamon, in a large bowl.
- 4. With your fingertips work the butter into the flour mixture.
- 5. Make a well in the center of the butter and flour mixture. Add the heavy cream and stir.
- 6. Add a tablespoon of milk and stir until the dough is moistened but not wet.
- 7. Add the diced strawberries.
- 8. Gently work the strawberries into the dough and kneed it together.
- 9. Pat into an 8 inch circle and cut triangles. Do not be afraid of using flour, excess flour can always be dusted off.
- 10. Transfer scones to a parchment lined baking sheet.
- 11. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with coarse raw sugar.
- 12. Bake at 425F for 12-15 minutes or until the tops and edges are golden.
- 13. Cool on a cooling rack.
- 14. Drizzle with vanilla or lemon glaze which is nothing but powdered sugar with a drop of liquid of your choice.