Strawberry Shortcake with Homemade Donuts
Old Fashioned Sour Cream Donuts turned it into Strawberry Shortcake!
This recipe contains flour (cake), baking powder, salt, sugar, shortening, eggs, vanilla extract, sour cream, nutmeg, , milk, vanilla extract, sugar (powdered, confectioners), , strawberries, whipped cream
Prep time: 30 min
Cook time: 15 min
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp shortening/vegetable lard
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 8 oz sour cream
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg (optional)
- for the icing
- 1/4 c whole milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 c powdered sugar
- toppings (optional)
- fresh strawberries
- whipped cream
- 1. Mix cake flour, baking powder and salt together. I don't like nutmeg so much, but if you do add it now! Set aside.
- 2. In your mixer, blend the Shortening (I used plain Crisco) and sugar together on low speed until "sandy".
- 3. Now blend in the egg yolks on low speed about 1 minute.
- 4. Alternate mixing in your dry ingredients (the flour combo) and the sour cream. Be sure to scrape down the sides every now and then too.
- 5. Add the vanilla extract last and mix until incorporated. Cover the batter and let sit in the fridge for 15-20 minutes.
- 6. Preheat your oven to 350. Spoon your batter into a ziploc bag to use the corner as a piping bag. It's a lot easier this way I promise! Pipe dough into a greased donut pan. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- 7. Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- 8. While baking, prepare the icing for the donuts. In a saucepan over low heat warm the milk, add the vanilla extract, and then whisk in the confectioners sugar until smooth. That's it!
- 9. Dip the slightly cool donuts in the icing or spoon icing over the top, whatever works for you.
- 10. Now to go completely wild, cut the donut in half (like an english muffin). Slice up some strawberries and add some whip cream.
- 11. Pure bliss. These donuts are super light and airy. The strawberries and whip cream just go perfectly, it's borderline life changing.