A perfectly delicious spring dessert, bursting with fresh berry flavor.
This recipe contains , strawberries, raspberries, cornstarch, sugar, , flour (all-purpose), sugar, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, milk (buttermilk), butter (unsalted), lemons
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 1 hr
- berry filling:
- 2 lb. fresh strawberries, hulled, large berries halved
- 6 oz. fresh raspberries
- 1 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup(s) sugar, depending on how sweet the berries are
- 1 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup(s) sugar
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup(s) buttermilk
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/2 tsp. fresh grated lemon zest
- 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees f. In a large bowl, combine berries, cornstarch and sugar (1/3-1/2 c.). Add fruit to a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate (I used a 10-inch cast iron skillet). Bake on a foil-lined baking sheet until the fruit begins to release juices, 20-30 minutes.
- 2. While the fruit is in the oven, prepare the topping. In a large bowl, combine flour, 1/4 c. sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, combine buttermilk, butter and lemon zest. Just before taking the fruit out of the oven, add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined (be careful to not over mix, or the cobbler topping will be tough).
- 3. Remove fruit filling from the oven. Drop the dough by 8 even spoonfuls over the hot filling, spacing 1/2-inch apart. Sprinkle the top with the remaining 2 t. sugar. Return to the oven and bake until the topping is golden-brown and cooked through, 15-20 minutes. Cool at least 15 minutes before serving.