Stuffed colored peppers
Middle Eastern cuisine at it's best.
Instead of pork sausage (the only type I can get) try using turkey or beef sausage, if you wish.
This recipe contains bulgur, bell peppers, olive oil, eggplant, pork sausage, garlic, onions, feta cheese, cream, lemon juice, mint leaves, coriander powder, parsley, black pepper, olive oil, tomato paste, salt
3-4 servings servings
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 1 hr 40 min
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- 6 coloured bell peppers
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 500g eggplant (2), thickly sliced
- 300g fresh sausage (1 1/2 cup), without casing
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 3/4 cup cream
- 1 1/2 tbs lemon juice
- 2 tbs fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 1/2 tbs parsley, chopped
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 1/2 tbs tomato paste
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1. Soak bulgur in 1 ½ cup hot water for 30 minutes. Drain.
- 2. Wash and dry the peppers, brush them with oil, arrange on an oven tin. Cook the peppers in the oven for 15 minutes at 240˚C with frequent turn over.
- 3. While hot, put in a plastic bag (this will make them easily to peel), let stand for 10 minutes.
- 4. Meanwhile, cook the eggplants in the hot grill pan until golden - brown in colour. Transfer to a food processor and chop coarsely.
- 5. Add bulgur, sausage, garlic, onion, cheese, cream, lemon juice, mint, coriander, parsley and black pepper, mix thoroughly and combine.
- 6. Peel the peppers, remove stems and seeds. Stuff them with the bulgur and sausage mixture.
- 7. In a skillet heat the oil over a medium heat, and fry the peppers for a few minutes.
- 8. Add the tomato paste and some water, season with salt. Stir and let it simmer for 20 minutes until thickened and cooked. Serve hot with the tomato paste sauce.