Stuffed Delicata Squash - gluten free, vegan
This Stuffed Delicata Squash is a complete meal. The delicata squash is a mild, sweet tasting squash, similar to a sweet potato, filled with millet, apple, cranberries, kale, pumpkin seeds and more. It's a fall harvest of foods combined into a hearty and delicious gluten free, grain free, vegan meal.
This recipe contains squash (delicata), flour (millet), rice (wild), water, onions, kale, chard, radicchio, apples (granny smith), pumpkin seeds, cranberries (dried), cinnamon, tamarind, ground cinnamon, cumin powder, curry powder, salt (kosher), olive oil, butter (vegan)
Makes 6 servings servings
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 1 hr 10 min
- 3 delicata squash
- 3/4 cup millet
- 1/4 cup wild rice
- 2 1/4 cups water
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 bunch tuscan, also known as dino kale, chopped
- 2 large swiss chard leaves and stem, trimmed
- 1 small radicchio, about 1/2 cup chopped
- 1 granny smith apple, diced (when buying organic keep the skin on for more fiber and nutrients)
- 3 tablespoons raw pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 2 handfuls dried cranberries
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 teaspoons tamarind paste (I use NEERA'S pure tamarind paste)
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 teaspoons ground curry
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Earth Balance Spread
- 1. Preheat the oven temperature to 400 degrees F
- 2. Delicata Squash: Slice the squash in half, lengthwise. Scoop out all the seeds with a spoon, set aside for roasting, if desired. Roast for 20-30 minutes, until it is soft to the touch. No salt or oil needed.
- 3. Millet/Wild Rice: Meanwhile in a small saucepan set over medium high heat, add water and 1 teaspoon kosher salt. When boiling, add millet and rice, cover and reduce to simmer. Cook for 20-25 minutes until you see little holes for fluffiness.
- 4. For Stuffing: In a large saute pan set on medium heat, add oil, and Earth balance spread. When melted add diced onions. Toss to coat onions well for a minute. Then add the cinnamon stick, curry, cumin, cinnamon. Combine well. Add diced apples, stir for 2-3 minutes until just beginning to soften.
- 5. Add kale, swiss chard and remaining 2 teaspoons kosher salt. Toss well (I use tongs to grab and turn over big leafy greens, no mess). It will look like a huge amount in the pan but it will shrink within a minute. Add radicchio, and cranberries. Combine well.
- 6. Cook for another minute until greens have softened but still have a little firmness. Add tamarind paste, and pepitas (pumpkin seeds), mix well, cook another minute until done. Add the millet/wild rice mixture to the pan, mix.
- 7. Scoop stuffing mixture into the halved delicata squash shells. Serve hot or warm.