Stuffed Chicken with Broccolis
This is my very own version of stuffed chicken with Broccoli. It was good. I still want to make the recipe from The Larousse but it may have to wait until I stumble upon sweetbreads…PS: I also did not have any shallots or onion… I had to improvise. Bon Appetit!! TIP: Make sure the chicken is free of any fats, and the bacon is as lean as possible. If you feel there is too much fat rendering, do not hesitate to remove it. I did exactly that with this recipe.
This recipe contains carrots, parsnips, zucchini, chicken thighs, bacon, onions (green/spring), broccoli crowns, butter, salt, black pepper
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 40 min
- 2 whole Carrots, peeled, chopped very fine
- 2 whole Parsnips, peeled and chopped fine
- 2 whole Zucchini, unpeeled
- 4 whole chicken thighs, skin on, no bone in. (chicken breasts may be used also)
- 6 slice(s) of very lean bacon, sliced on 1/4 inch pieces
- green onions
- 1 whole broccoli head, separated in florets
- 1 tbsp. butter
- black pepper
- 1. Preheat the oven to 375 º. Cook in boiling water the carrots and parsnips. At the same time in another pot cook the unpeeled zucchini in boiling water, making sure they remain firm. Drain the zucchini when ready and dice. Drain the carrots and parsnips and set aside. Meanwhile in a large skillet over medium heat, add the butter, bacon and scallions. Saute until the bacon bits until is nicely cooked. Remove any extra fat rendered from the bacon. Reserve a small handful of bacon and green onion mixture to use with the broccoli. Add the zucchini, carrots and parsnips to the skillet and mix well. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 2. Open wide the chicken tights and clean them of any fat. Add in the center 1 tablespoon of mixture and roll to form a cylinder. Use a toothpick or cooking string to tie together. In a large oven proof skillet add some butter or oil and sear the stuffed chicken tights.
- 3. When the outside skin is nicely browned, place the whole pan in the oven to allow the center of the chicken to cook nicely. Around 15 to 20 minutes.
- 4. Meanwhile steam the broccoli. When broccoli are cooked but still crisp, sauté with bacon scallions mixture for a minute or so.
- 5. Put each chicken roll in a plate and serve with the broccolis.