An easy to make recipe that tastes even better when reheated.
This recipe contains brown rice, onions, eggs, sausage (italian), cheese (pecorino), cheese (parmesan), pasta sauce, green bell peppers, bread crumbs (panko), oregano, crushed red pepper
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 1 hr 10 min
- 1 1/2 cup(s) long grain brown rice
- 1 whole medium onion, chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 9 oz. Italian sausage (about 3 links)
- 1/3 cup(s) pecorino romano or parmesan Cheese for filling
- 1/3 cup(s) pecorino romano or parmesan Cheese for topping
- 16 oz. jar prepared tomato sauce
- 8 whole medium sized green bell peppers
- 1/4 cup(s) whole wheat panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 tsp. oregano
- 1 pn. crushed red pepper
- 1. Cook rice according to package directions. Once cooked set aside to cool.
- 2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- 3. Cut top off of peppers and take out seeds and membranes. Save the tops of peppers, remove stems, and dice.
- 4. Saute chopped up peppers and onion with some olive oil for 3 to 5 minutes or until soft.
- 5. Remove sausage from casing and add to pan. Use a wooden spoon to break the sausage up into small pieces as it is cooking. Once sausage is cooked, turn off heat.
- 6. Add jar of sauce to sausage and stir. Let the sausage mixture cool for approximately 5 minutes.
- 7. Once slightly cooled add Parmesan cheese (1/3 cup), egg, and rice. Gently stir everything until just combined.
- 8. Gently scoop filling into peppers and place peppers in a deep baking dish.
- 9. Cover dish with foil and bake peppers for 20 minutes.
- 10. After 20 minutes, uncover peppers and cook another 15 minutes.
- 11. Mix together parmesan cheese (1/3 cup), breadcrumbs, oregano, crushed red pepper and drizzle of olive oil. When the 15 minutes are up take peppers out of the oven and gently press the topping on each pepper.
- 12. Put peppers back in to bake for another 15 minutes. (In total the peppers bake for 50 minutes.)