An American/Southern dish of corn and lima (butter) beans cooked together. Can be served as a side or as a meal.
This recipe contains bacon, unsalted butter, corn kernels, lima beans, lima beans (frozen), bell peppers, onions (green/spring), heavy cream, water, salt, black pepper
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 25 min
- 2 bacon slices (2 oz), cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-wide strips
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels (from 3 to 4 ears) or frozen
- 1 (10 oz) package frozen baby lima beans, thawed
- 1/2 cup diced (1/3 inch) green and red bell pepper
- 1 bunch scallions, cut crosswise into 1/3-inch pieces, keeping white and pale green parts separate from greens
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1. Cook bacon in a 10-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer bacon with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain, then add butter to fat in skillet and melt over moderate heat. Add corn, lima beans, bell pepper, and white and pale green parts of scallions and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Add cream, water, salt, and pepper, then simmer, partially covered, until vegetables are tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in bacon, scallion greens, and salt and pepper to taste.