Thai Coconut Beetroot Soup
A deliciously warming Thai coconut beetroot soup. This is perfect for cold autumn / fall days.
This recipe contains beets, vegetable oil, onions, red curry paste, coconut milk, vegetable stock, salt, black pepper, lemon juice, herbs
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 1 hr 20 min
- 500g beetroot
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1-3 tsp Thai red curry paste
- 400ml coconut milk
- 300ml vegetable stock
- Black pepper
- Lemon juice to taste
- Chopped herbs (optional)
- 1. Remove the leafy parts of the beetroot. Do not trim the roots, so that it does not bleed.
- 2. Add the beetroot to a pot, cover with plenty of water, bring to the boil and then simmer until tender (between 45-60 mins depending on its size).
- 3. Drain the beetroot and when pieces are cool down peel and chop them.
- 4. Add the oil to a saucepan and fry the onion for about 7 mins until soft.
- 5. Add in the beetroot and curry paste and cook for a few mins.
- 6. Stir in the coconut milk and stock, season with salt and pepper and bring to the boil then reduce to a simmer for about 5 mins.
- 7. Let the soup cool and whizz with a hand held blender or in a food processor.
- 8. Add lemon juice to you taste and adjust season and serve.