The Best Lemon Bars in the World
Sweet without being cloyingly so, buttery without being too rich, and certainly not dense. If I were to use one word to describe these lemon bars it would be, perfect.
This recipe contains , unsalted butter, sugar (powdered, confectioners), sugar, flour (all-purpose), salt, lemon curd, eggs, sugar, lemons, unsalted butter, salt, sugar (powdered, confectioners), lemons
9 good sized bars servings
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 40 min
- Shortbread Crust
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- Lemon Curd
- 4 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 freshly squeezed medium lemons, again the emphasis on the freshly squeezed
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- pinch of salt
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1. Cut butter into small chunks and let it cool in the freezer. Preheat the oven to 325 F.
- 2. In a food processor, process the powdered sugar, salt, and granulated sugar. Pulse on and off for 15 seconds.
- 3. Add the butter. Pulse until the butter resembles small peas. Add the flour and pulse until the mixture comes together and pulls away from the sides.
- 4. Lightly knead in a bowl and press into a 9x9 baking dish. No need to butter because the dough is so buttery.
- 5. Dock and bake for precisely 35 min. You don't want too much color because we will bake it again later. Lightly tan is perfect.
- 6. Prepare the lemon curd.
- 7. Add the butter, salt, and freshly squeezed lemon juice (accept no substitutes) and place it on the stove. Stir it with a spoonula or spatula, constantly, until it thickens and resembles a hollandaise sauce, thick but still pour-able. If the curd begins to boil take it off the heat immediately or else it'll curdle.
- 8. Press through a strainer. Pour it directly onto the crust.
- 9. Bake for an additional 10 minutes at 300 F. The top should not be wobbly.
- 10. Leave to cool on the counter and then into the fridge to cool completely. Dust with powdered sugar at service. Serve with a smile. And as always, Chow!