The Priest Fainted (Imam Bayildi)
Imam Bayildi is one of the most well-known Turkish “Zeytinyagli” Olive Oil Dishes.
This recipe contains , eggplant, garlic, tomatoes, parsley (fresh), onions, olive oil, caster sugar, pepper, salt, olive oil
Prep time: 30 min
Cook time: 1 hr
- 4 medium-sized eggplants
- 3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 lbs tomatoes, blanched, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil for frying
- 1. Preparation: Preheat oven to 425° F
- 2. Peel eggplants leaving lengthwise stripes, cut in to 1-inch cubes, soak in salted water for 30 minutes, then drain and dry them.
- 3. Using a large pan over medium high heat, sauté onions and garlic in 1/4 cup olive oil until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and parsley, season with salt, pepper and sugar. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally about 15 minutes.
- 4. While sauce is simmering, place eggplants in a bowl with the 2 tablespoons of olive oil, toss until the eggplant cubes are well coated. Transfer the eggplants to a large sized oven-proof pan and spread out in to one layer. Roast in the oven for about 15 minutes or until browned slightly.
- 5. Remove the pan from the oven. Place the roasted eggplants in the baking dish, spread tomato sauce evenly to cover the eggplants.
- 6. Bake uncovered for 20-30 minutes, until golden brown and bubbly. Remove from oven
- 7. Serve cold and sprinkle with fresh parsley before serving
- 8. Why did the priest faint? You’ll see :) )