Toasted Marshmallow Ice Cream
Toasted marshmallows are blended into a creamy vanilla ice cream for the ultimate fireside snack!
This recipe contains milk, salt (kosher), sugar, vanilla extract, eggs, heavy cream, marshmallows
Prep time: 1 hr +
Cook time: 2 hr
- 1 1/4 cup(s) whole milk
- 1/8 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 cup(s) granulated sugar, divided
- 1 tbsp. vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 cup(s) heavy cream
- 14 toasted marshmallows
- 1. In a heavy bottomed saucepan, heat the milk, salt and 1/4 cup sugar over med-low heat until steaming but not boiling and the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat. Add the vanilla bean paste and let stand for 1 hour.
- 2. Fill a large bowl with ice and water. Place a small bowl in the ice water and add the heavy cream. Top the small bowl with a wire strainer and set aside.
- 3. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and remaining 1/4 cup sugar until light in color and ribbons begin to form. Reheat the milk mixture over med-low heat and slowly add to the egg mixture whisking constantly so the eggs do not scramble. Return the milk/egg mixture to the pan and heat. Stir constantly with a heat-resistant spatula being sure to scrape the sides and bottom until it begins to thicken (it will coat the back of the spatula).
- 4. Strain the milk mixture into the cream, remove the strainer and stir to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours or overnight.
- 5. Pour the mixture into the freezer can of an electric ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. When the mixture reaches soft serve consistency, add the toasted marshmallows one at a time and continue churning until combined. Use a spatula to push any marshmallows through that may stick to the churn. Transfer the ice cream to a freezer safe container and freeze.