Tomato Braised Brisket
This brisket with potato kugel was delicious as always and yielded enough brisket and vegetables for two nights with enough brisket left over for hash and possibly a sandwich if we are careful.
This recipe contains , beef (brisket), tomatoes (whole, peeled), carrots (baby), onions, celery, garlic (fresh), wine (pinot noir), beef stock, bay leaves, thyme (fresh), rosemary (fresh), parsley (fresh), olive oil (extra virgin), salt, garlic powder, black pepper
Prep time: 30 min
Cook time: 3 hr
- 4 lb. beef brisket, fat trimmed to minimum
- 28 oz. whole, skinned tomatoes with juice
- 1 bunch baby carrots, washed and greens cut to 1 inch length
- 1 whole onion, skinned and quartered
- 3 stalks of celery, cut into 3 inch lengths
- 1 head of garlic, cut in half crosswise
- 1/2 cup(s) burgundy wine
- 2 cup(s) low fat beef stock
- 5 bay leaves (several)
- 1 bundle of fresh thyme, tied
- 1 bundle fresh rosemary, tied
- 1/2 cup(s) fresh parsley or cilantro
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 - 2 ds. salt to taste
- garlic powder
- 1. 1. Season brisket on all sides with fresh ground black pepper and garlic powder.
- 2. 2. Pick a Dutch oven that will hold the meat flat. The meat will shrink while cooking, so if there is a tip that is bent up ignore it.
- 3. 3. Heat the olive oil in the Dutch oven over medium-high heat and brown the meat on both sides. Remove the meat and reserve while vegetables are browned.
- 4. 4. Reduce the heat to medium and brown the carrots, onions, celery, garlic, bay leaves, thyme and rosemary slightly to release their aromas.
- 5. 5. Hand crush about half of the canned tomatoes, leaving at least 6 of the bigger ones whole and add all of the tomatoes and their juice to the pot. Add everything else to the pot and put back the brisket making sure to cover it as much as possible with the liquid.
- 6. 6. Put in and oven preheated to 330-335*F and cook for 3 to 3 ½ hours while turning the meat every half hour.
- 7. 7. Remove the pot from the oven and place on the range top or a hot pad. Remove the meat and place on a cutting board and tent with aluminum foil for 10-15 minutes while it rests and cools for slicing.