Tomato Herbed Spelt Bread
Tomato Herbed Spelt Bread - Healthy and flavorful bread baked in the home oven
This recipe contains tomatoes (Roma), maple syrup, olive oil, rosemary (fresh), whole wheat spelt flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, water, fresh basil
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 40 min
- 3 Roma tomatoes (blanched and peeled)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh mixed herbs (rosemary, basil)
- 4 cups whole grain spelt flour*
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup water
- 1/8 c fresh basil
- 1. Preheat oven at 375 degree Fahrenheit. Prepare a 9×5 inch loaf pan by greasing and dusting it.
- 2. Puree the tomatoes in a grinder and add maple syrup and blend well.
- 3. Pour the tomato puree in a bowl and add oil and herbs.
- 4. In a separate mixing bowl combine spelt flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda and mix properly with a spoon.
- 5. Pour the tomato puree mix to the flour and mix with a spoon. Add water and mix with a spoon or with your hand. I initially mixed the batter with spoon and later mixed properly with hand. The batter will take the form of very soft dough.
- 6. Put the dough into the pan and spread gently to shape it according to the pan.
- 7. Put the loaf pan into the oven on the middle rack and bake for 35-40 minutes or until the tester comes out clean.
- 8. Take the bread out of the oven and let it cool for a while. Cut into slices and serve warm with butter/margarine or make a sandwich out of it.