Adding goat cheese to this tomato zucchini pie, using light mayonnaise and cutting back on the butter in the crust makes this a healthier lower fat version of your typical pie crusts. This is simple to whip up and is quite a savory meal! *MYXXUPDATE* The original recipe called for 5 tomatoes. After several people making this and reporting back, the consensus was this was too many. The amount has been reduced to 3.
This recipe contains flour (all-purpose), salt, black pepper, butter, water, eggs, zucchini, mayonnaise, cheese (parmesan), cheese (goat), salt, basil (fresh), tomatoes, basil (fresh)
Prep time: 30 min
Cook time: 30 min
- 1 1/2 cup(s) all-purpose flour (I used white spelt)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper, divided
- 1/4 cup(s) soft butter
- 2 - 3 tbsp. water
- 2 large eggs, separated from yolk from whites
- 1 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup(s) mayonnaise (I used low fat)
- 1/4 cup(s) Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup(s) goat cheese
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 tbsp. fresh basil, chopped
- 3 whole tomatoes, sliced
- Extra basil for garnish
- 1. 1. Combine flour, butter, salt, 1 egg yolk, 2 tablespoons of water and 1 tsp pepper in a mixer. Mix on low until dough sticks together when pressed. Add 1 more tablespoon of water if needed. Press dough into a 9-inch square or round pie or tart pan. Pierce dough all over with a fork. Brush with 1 egg yolk. Set in freezer 5 minutes. If making mini pies, spray small muffin pan with non-stick cooking spray and press dough into each muffin space. Pierce bottom with fork, brush with egg and freeze 5 minutes.
- 2. 2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Pour egg whites onto bottom of pie crust and back crust 15 minutes. Set aside.
- 3. 3. Microwave zucchini 4 minutes or until tender. Drain extra water on paper towels.
- 4. 4. In a separate bowl, combine remaining 1/2 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp salt, mayonnaise, Parmesan cheese, goat cheese and chopped basil. Layer your pie with zucchini, tomatoes, mayonnaise mixture.
- 5. 5. Bake 25 minutes for large pie and 18-20 minutes for mini pies, or until filling is hot and bubble and crust is golden.