Very Berry New York Cheesecake
This luxuriously dense N.Y. Cheesecake is topped with a very berry compote and nestled in an ultra dark chocolate crumb. You won't be able to resist it!
This recipe contains , oreo cookies, unsalted butter, sugar, salt, , cream cheese, sugar, salt, flour (all-purpose), lemons, eggs, eggs, vanilla extract, , berries, lemons, sugar, cornstarch, water, salt
one 9.5 inch spring-form pan servings
Prep time: 25 min
Cook time: 1 hr 20 min
- for Oreo Crumb Crust
- 30 oreo cookie sandwiches or 60 separated oreo cookie wafers, with the frosting scraped off
- 8 tablespoons or 1 stick of unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- for New York Cheesecake Filling
- 5 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, if you can't math that's 40 ounces of softened cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 5 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- Very Berry Topping
- 10 ounces of fresh or frozen assorted berries, I used half strawberries half blueberries, but blackberries and raspberries would work just as well, perhaps better
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, that is a little less than half a lemon
- 1/4 cup sugar, depending on how sweet your fruits are
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- a small pinch of salt
- 1. Scrape the frosting off of the oreo sandwiches.
- 2. Place the cookies, sugar, salt, and melted butter into a food processor and blend until completely combined.
- 3. Butter a 9 1/2 inch spring form mold and pack the crumbs in, working from the center out to the edges and up the sides.
- 4. Place in the freezer to cool while we work on the surprisingly easy cheesecake filling.
- 5. Let the cream cheese come up to room temperature.
- 6. Beat for a minute to loosen up the block shape. Add sugar, salt, flour, and lemon zest, and beat for one minute more.
- 7. Add the eggs and egg yolks one at a time, beating each one completely before adding the next ones.
- 8. Add vanilla extract and combine with a spatula.
- 9. Preheat the oven to 500F. Fill the Oreo crumb shell with the cheesecake filling (minus that amount which you will save for "testing"), and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned.
- 10. Once the top is golden and puffed, without opening the oven door, turn the oven temperature down to 200F and bake for one hour more.
- 11. Let it cool on the countertop before returning to the refrigerator to cool completely. Let it cool for at least 2 hours, but preferably overnight.
- 12. In a medium saucepan, add strawberries, blueberries, lemon juice, sugar, cornstarch, water, and salt. Maintain a boil for 2 minutes and turn off the heat.
- 13. Cool the Very Berry topping in the fridge as well.
- 14. After a minimum of two hours, preferably overnight, pour the Very Berry topping over the cheesecake, slice large, and serve with a dollop of whipped cream.