Virtuous chocolate muffins
These vegan chocolate muffins are moist, chocolaty, sweet enough to satisfy without being sickly, and best of all, pretty much guilt free! Packed with whole grains, good oils and vitamin & mineral rich coconut palm sugar, these are a treat you can really feel good about!
This recipe contains flour (white spelt), coconut palm sugar, cocoa powder, bicarbonate soda, milk (hemp), olive oil, apple cider vinegar, sea salt, sugar, chicory granules, vanilla extract
makes 8-10 servings
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 15 min
- 2 cups wholemeal spelt or kamut* (if you can't find these flours then use a regular fine wholemeal flour)
- 2/3 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 1/4 cups (310ml) of oat, nut or hemp milk
- 1/2 cup (125ml) extra virgin olive oil, or melted virgin coconut oil
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp of fine sea salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp chicory granules dissolved in 1 tbsp water (totally optional, to give a slight mocha flavour to the muffin)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- 2. In a large bowl, sift together all the dry ingredients until well combined.
- 3. Add all the wet ingredients to a bowl and whisk them together.
- 4. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix well (pretty simple recipe this!)
- 5. Fill each muffin case about 3/4 full, pop them in the oven and bake for around 15 mins, you'll know they're ready when a cocktail stick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- 6. Cool on a rack and they're ready to top with whatever you fancy, I used a raw cashew frosting with bee pollen sprinkles!