Waldorf Salad With a Kick
The kick in this classic is cayenne- the added touch in Caramelized Cayenne Walnuts or just a mere sprinkle on top will do just fine. This dish can easily be made into a lower fat healthy version by using light dairy products and light mayonnaise. Either way it is refreshing, satisfying and scrumptious. It makes a lovely presentation in a compote dish, glass bowl or even a high ball glass.
This recipe contains , apples, grapes, celery, celery, cranberries (dried), walnuts (chopped), cayenne pepper, sunflower seeds, , cream cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, sugar (powdered, confectioners), lemons, salt (kosher)
Prep time: 15 min
- Salad Ingredients:
- 4 whole apples (granny smith, honey crisp, macintosh etc,) diced small, tossed with lemon juice to prevent browning
- 1 cup(s) green and/or red grapes
- 2 stalks celery, diced small
- 2 tsp. celery leaves, minced (optional)
- 1/2 cup(s) dried cranberries and/or raisins (extra for garnish)
- 1/2 cup(s) chopped Walnuts- plain or candied or spiced candied
- Ground cayenne pepper (optional) for sprinkling
- sunflower seeds (optional)
- Dressing Ingredients:
- 4 tbsp. softened cream cheese (light)
- 5 tbsp. sour cream or greek yogurt (light)
- 4 tbsp. mayonnaise (light)
- 2 tbsp. confectioner's sugar
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1. 1. Add all "Dressing Ingredients" to a processor or blender, process until smooth.
- 2. 2. Combine dressing with fruit and vegetables, transfer to a serving platter and top with walnuts, cayenne, dried cranberries, raisins and/or sunflower seeds if desired.
- 3. Or for a more attractive display- in a glass serving dish, compote or glass -alternate rows of fruit and vegetables with some dressing and garnish with walnuts, cayenne, dried cranberries, raisins and/or sunflower seeds if desired.