Warm Quinoa Spinach and Shiitake Salad
Delicious seasoned quinoa forms the base of this warm greens-and-veggie side salad. Leftovers make a great packed lunch.
This recipe contains chicken broth, quinoa (garlic), olive oil, shallots, bell peppers (red), mushrooms (shiitake), red wine vinegar, baby spinach, salt, black pepper, cheese (feta)
Serves 6 servings
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 20 min
- 2 cups (500 mL) Chicken Broth
- 1 pkg (225 g) PC Organics Roasted Garlic and Fine Herbs Quinoa
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) olive oil
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) thinly sliced shallots
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 6 oz (180 g) shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded and caps thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) red wine vinegar
- 1 pkg (142 g) baby spinach
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) crumbled feta cheese
- 1. In saucepan, bring chicken broth to a boil. Stir in quinoa and contents of seasoning pouch. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes or until tender. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- 2. In large nonstick frying pan, heat oil over medium heat; cook shallots and red pepper for 4 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until lightly golden and softened. Stir in mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, for 6 to 8 minutes or until mushrooms have released their juices and are starting to turn golden. Add vinegar; cook, stirring to bring up browned bits, for 1 minute. Stir in spinach; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or just until wilted. Stir in salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- 3. In large bowl, toss quinoa with warm spinach mixture. Serve sprinkled with feta.
- 4. More recipe ideas are available online at pc.ca.