Winter Fattoush Salad
Fattoush is a Middle Eastern bread salad traditionally made with cucumbers and tomatoes, not unlike the Italian panzanella, but with pita bread which soaks up the juicy summer vegetables and lemony dressing. This winter version, which is delicious in its own right, is perfect for when fresh tomatoes are a distant memory. It’s substantial enough for a light meal or a tasty accompaniment to grilled lamb chops or vegetable kebabs.
This recipe contains , olive oil, za'atar, salt (kosher), bread (pita), , onions, olive oil, lentils, garlic (fresh), parsley, , kale, cabbage, cucumbers (english), radishes, parsley (fresh), cheese (feta), , olive oil, lemon juice, agave nectar, , sumac, salt, black pepper
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 30 min
- 1 1/2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. za'atar
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 large pita breads
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup(s) cooked lentils (many markets carry vacuum-packed, precooked lentils, or boil 1 cup dried brown lentils in 2 cups salted water until tender, then drain)
- 2 clove(s) garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp. minced parsley
- 1 cup(s) bunch lacinato kale leaves, tough ribs removed (about 2 heaping cups, shredded)
- 1 cup(s) small head savoy cabbage (about 2 heaping cups, shredded)
- 1 large organic English or Persian cucumber with skin (about 1 cup shredded)
- 1 cup(s) small bunch red radishes or other varietals such as watermelon or daikon (about 1/2 cup, shredded)
- 1/2 cup(s) flat leaf parsley leaves (or a mix of parsley and mint)
- 8 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
- Salad Dressing:
- 1/3 cup(s) olive oil (or a blend of olive and canola oil)
- 1/4 cup(s) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp. agave nectar
- 1/2 tsp. ground sumac
- 1. Toast the pita: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Whisk the oil, za’atar and salt in a small bowl. Lay the pita bread on a baking sheet and brush both sides with the oil. Bake until crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. When cool enough to handle, tear pitas into bite-size pieces. There should be about 2 cups.
- 2. Make the lentils: Saute the onions and oil in a small skillet until onions soften and begin to brown. Add the lentils and stir to blend. Stir in the garlic and parsley and remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper.
- 3. Cut away the thickest part of the kale and cabbage ribs and discard, then roll the leaves into bundles and shred. Trim the cucumber ends, then cut lengthwise into ¼-inch slices. Stack the slices and cut crosswise into shreds. Repeat with the radishes. Tear whole leaves from parsley and/or mint.
- 4. Make the dressing: Whisk the dressing ingredients in a bowl until fully combined. You can also use a handheld blender.
- 5. Compose the salad: Toss the salad ingredients in a large bowl. Add the lentils and pita crisps. Drizzle with the dressing and toss again. Mound the salad on a serving platter. Top with feta cheese and sprinkle with sumac.