Winter Fruit, Yogurt & Farro Parfaits
Layers of sweetened yogurt, juicy citrus, ripe persimmons, pomegranate, and farro with dried fruit and nuts make this a breakfast that's healthy and hearty.
This recipe contains farro, salt, walnuts, dates, yogurt, honey, oranges, persimmons, pomegranate seeds
3 servings servings
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 30 min
- 1/2 c. farro
- 1 t. salt
- 1/4 c. lightly toasted chopped walnuts
- 1/4 c. chopped, pitted dates
- 1 1/2 c. plain Greek yogurt (or any other yogurt of choice, I used a yogurt here with 4% milkfat)
- 1 1/2 T. honey
- 2 oranges, segmented and cut into 3/4-inch pieces (I used 1 navel orange and 1 Cara Cara orange)
- 2 ripe fuyu persimmons, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- a handful of pomegranate arils
- 1. Cook the farro: Bring about 3 quarts of water to a boil in a 4 quart saucepan. Add farro and 1 t. salt. Boil until the farro is tender, about 25-30 minutes. Drain the farro and let cool to room temperature before proceeding with the recipe. When cool, toss the farro with the toasted walnuts and chopped dates.
- 2. In a small bowl, mix together the yogurt and honey. In another small bowl, toss together the citrus and persimmons.
- 3. In the bottom of a glass, layer 1/4 c. of the farro mixture, followed by 1/4 c. of the yogurt mixture, 1/4 c. of the fruit sprinkled with a few pomegranate arils, then another 1/4 c. layer of yogurt. Repeat the layers, ending with a layer of fruit on top.