Summer Camp Berry Hand Pie
One bite and you’ll fall in love with this fruity Summer Camp Berry Hand Pie dessert. Be sure to bake up this flaky, gooey, “pint size” classic pie that everyone is sure to love.
This recipe contains flour (all-purpose), sugar, salt, unsalted butter, blackberries, raspberries, cornstarch, sugar, salt, lemon juice, lemons, eggs, sugar (powdered, confectioners)
6 servings servings
Prep time: 1 hr +
Cook time: 30 min
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- 4 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Turbinado sugar for sprinkling
- 1. Pulse flour, sugar, and salt in a food processor. Add butter and pulse until the texture of very coarse meal. Add ¼ cup ice water and pulse, adding more water if dry, until dough comes together in clumps. Form into a square, wrap in plastic, and chill until firm, about 2 hours.
- 2. Crust can be made 3 days ahead. Keep chilled. Let stand at room temperature 15 minutes before rolling out.
- 3. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- 4. In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, cook the blackberries, raspberries, cornstarch, sugar, salt, lemon juice and zest, stirring constantly, until mixture just boils and is thickened, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- 5. Roll out half of the dough to ¾ inch thick on a lightly floured surface with a lightly floured rolling pin into a 16- by 11-inch rectangle. Trim the rough edges into a 15- by 10-inch rectangle, reserving scraps. Cut into 6 (5-inch) squares. Place 2 tablespoons of fruit filling in the center of one square. Moisten the edges of the square with egg wash. Place another dough square over the top of the berry mixture and press edges together to seal. Transfer to the parchment lined baking sheet and press tines of a fork around the edges of the square. Make 2 more squares in same manner, arranging them 1 inch apart on the baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough and filling, rerolling all of the scraps together once to make 6 squares total.
- 6. Brush the tops with egg wash and sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Bake until pies are golden, about 30 minutes total. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Serve warm.