Summer Kale, Orange & Pomegranate Salad with Moscato Dressing
The cold, crisp texture of the kale greens, the natural sweetness of oranges & the nutty crunch of sunflower seeds make a refreshing option to a hot summer night salad. The explosion of colors of rich shades of green, orange & red excites your eyes, while the nutrient rich kale nourishes your body. Kale is high in vitamins A, C & E. Kale has a substantial mineral content including manganese, iron, calcium & potassium, as well as, phytochemicals such as sulphoraphane (linked to cancer prevention). Pour a bubbling glass of Presto Moscato Dolce and cheers to a great summer evening dinner.Wine Pairing: Presto Moscato Dolce
This recipe contains , kale, parsley (fresh), lettuce (butter), cabbage (red), oranges, onions (red), bell peppers (red), sunflower seeds, , juice (orange), black pepper, wine (white), mustard (dijon), olive oil, pomegranate molasses, pomegranate seeds
4 side dish / 6 to 8 tasting servings servings
Prep time: 15 min
- For the Salad:
- 1/2 bunch dinosaur kale, thick stems removed & leaves thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup curley parsley, chopped
- 1/2 head of butter lettuce, cored & chopped
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 to 2 oranges, peeled & segmented
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds, lightly toasted
- For the Dressing:
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons Presto Moscato Dolce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Garnish: Pomegranate molasses
- garnish: fresh pomegranate seeds
- 1. Assemble the Salad: Over medium heat, toast sunflower seeds in a small skillet until lightly golden; Cool.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine kale, parsley, butter lettuce, cabbage, orange segments, onion, bell pepper & sunflower seeds.
- 3. Season with Kosher salt & fresh cracked black pepper to taste.
- 4. In a small bowl, whisk together all the dressing ingredients & lightly spoon dressing over kale mixture to lightly coat.
- 5. Plating: On a chilled serving plate, place a 3″ x 4″ metal plating/forming ring; Spoon kale salad mixture into the ring & lightly pressing down to compact salad; Place 2 orange segments on top.
- 6. Carefully remove plating ring. Sprinkle fresh pomegranate seeds around the plate with a quarter size drop of pomegranate molasses.
- 7. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 2 days.