Summer Vegetable Pasta Salad with Sundried Tomato-Caper Vinaigrette
A wonderful summer take on pasta salad. It’s definitely not your traditional pasta salad made form packet dressing mix! I combined the best green spring-time vegetables with a fresh sun-dried tomato dressing. It’s like the taste of spring and the Mediterranean all in one bowl! Plus it’s great for leftovers and to take to work the next day. Also fantastic for summertime BBQs and picnics. You won’t be disappointed with this one.
This recipe contains , pasta, onions, zucchini, asparagus, garlic, italian seasoning, crushed red pepper, salt, pepper, cooking spray, olive oil, , cheese (mozzarella, fresh), cheese (parmigiano-reggiano), , tomatoes (sun dried), capers, basil (dried), fresh garlic, red wine vinegar, salt, pepper, crushed red pepper, olive oil (extra virgin)
4 - 6 Servings
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 25 min
- Summer Pasta Salad:
- 1/2 lb. pasta- any shape (I like fusilli)
- 1 large onion- sliced in thin rainbows
- 1 zucchini- cut in half moons
- 1/2 bunch pencil asparagus- blanched & cut in 1/2 diagonals
- 2 - 3 garlic- chopped
- 1 tbsp. Italian seasoning- crushed in palm
- 1 tbsp. red crushed pepper (or to taste)
- PAM Olive Oil Flavor
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup(s) cubed fresh mozzarella (optional- leave out if vegan)
- parmigiana cheese- for garnishing (use vegan style if desired)
- Sun-dried Tomato Caper Vinaigrette:
- 4 - 5 sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil- chopped
- 2 tbsp. capers
- 1 tbsp. dried basil- crushed
- 2 garlic- chopped
- 1 - 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- red crushed pepper-
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1. Add all of the dressing ingredients to a food processor/blender (except for the oil). Blend until mostly chopped up. While the blender is on low, slowly drizzle in the olive oil until the consistency is a chunky dressing. Taste for salt and seasonings.
- 2. Bring water salted and sprayed/oiled water to a boil and add pasta. Boil until slightly softer than al dente.
- 3. As the pasta is boiling, make the vegetable saute. In a large skillet, spray with PAM and pour oil- place over medium high heat. Add onions and saute for about 30 seconds then add garlic. Toss and add red crushed pepper and seasonings. Saute for about 6-7 minutes until onions are golden and slightly soft. Add zucchini and saute for another 5 or so minutes. Once the zucchini and onions are soft, add the asparagus and saute for a few more minutes. We add it in at the end, because they’ve already becoming tender from blanching, so you don’t want to mush them.
- 4. Once the pasta is boiled, drain and add directly to the warm sauteed vegetables. Toss and drizzle with half of the dressing. Toss and taste for seasoning- it might need some more dressing. Transfer to a large bowl. Once it is slightly cooled, add the cubed mozzarella, toss and refrigerate until ready to serve. Before serving, top with a generous portion of parmigiana cheese.