Turkey Enchilada Bake
Ground Turkey Infused with Chipotles and Tomatillos with lots of cheese, corn tortillas and avocado
This recipe contains tortillas (corn), salsa, cheese (mexican blend), avocados, onions, limes, , turkey ground, tomatoes (diced) (fire roasted), green chilies, chipotle peppers, tomatilos, yellow onions, garlic, chili powder, cumin, paprika, coriander, black beans, , fresh cilantro, sour cream
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 40 min
- 10 1/2 corn tortillas
- 1 cup(s) your favorite jarred salsa
- 3 cup(s) shredded cheddar cheese, or a Mexican blend
- 3 avocados, thinly sliced
- 1/2 a red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 limes, juiced
- FOR TURKEY MIXTURE:
- 10 oz. lean ground turkey
- 7 oz. canned fire roasted tomatoes (about 1/2 a can)
- 4 oz. can green chilies
- 3 oz. chipotles in adobo (about 1/2 a can)
- 1/2 whole yellow onion
- 3 clove(s) garlic
- 1 tbsp. Chili Powder
- 1 tbsp. Ground Cumin
- 1 tbsp. Paprika
- 1 tsp. Ground Coriander
- 7 oz. canned black beans (about 1/2 a can)
- FOR GARNISH:
- 1 cup(s) cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup(s) light sour cream
- 1. Make the turkey mixture: Roast the vegetables: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut the tomatillos in half, slice the onion into ½ in slices and remove garlic from covering. Place on baking sheet. Roast till tomatillos are tender and start to brown, about 20 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile,make the sauce: Add tomatillos, onion, garlic, tomatoes, green chilies, chipotles, chili powder, cumin, paprika, and coriander to blender or food processor. Blend until smooth.
- 3. In a large bowl, add the turkey, beans, and sauce, Mix together until everything is evenly distributed.
- 4. Layer 1: In a 9 by 13 baking dish, spread salsa on the bottom evenly. place 3.5 tortillas on top, making sure they cover evenly. Add 1 cup of turkey mixture on top of tortillas, spreading evenly. Add 1 cup of cheese on top, sprinkling evenly. Place ⅓ cup of thinly sliced red onion on top of cheese.
- 5. Layer 2: repeat of layer 1
- 6. Layer 3: Place tortillas, then turkey. Place the sliced of avocado on top of turkey so they evenly cover. Add lime juice evenly over avocado, this will help them stay green. Top with final cup of cheese. Cover with foil.
- 7. Place in oven and bake for 30 min, rotating ½ way. Remove foil and cook for another 10 minutes.
- 8. Let cool for at least 10 minutes. Serve with chopped cilantro and a dollop of sour cream. Serve with tortillas chips. Enjoy!