Turkey soup with tomatoes and herbs.
Great soup, if you have turkey leftovers from Thanksgiving or if you just wish to have a rich, hearty soup for lunch. Any part of turkey will be good (I cooked mine from turkey neck and some leftovers). It takes 30-40 minutes to cook and the taste is amazing. The key to great taste are tomatoes and herbs.
This recipe contains , turkey, onions (white), beans (pinto), tomatoes (diced), potatoes, bell peppers (red), cumin, basil (dried), oregano (dried), black pepper, salt, carrots, water, dill
6 people servings
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 30 min
- 2/3 lb of Turkey meat
- 1 white onion
- 1.5 cup of boiled pinto beans (boil separately or canned rinsed very well)
- 1/2 can of diced tomatoes
- 2-3 potatoes
- 1/2 of red bell pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/2 teaspoons of basil
- 1/2 teaspoon of oregano
- Pinch of black pepper
- Pinch of salt.
- 1 carrot (optional)
- 3 quarts (approx.) of water
- 1/3 cup dill
- 1. Prepare the vegetables: peel onion, carrot and potato. Wash everything carefully.
- 2. Shred the carrot, cut the potato in mid-sized chunks, and finely chop the onion. Set half of onion aside. Wash and chop the red bell pepper.
- 3. Take a 4 quart pan, put the turkey meat and cover it with water (approximately 3 quarts), set on medium heat and wait until it starts boiling. Take away the scum if any. Add salt, pepper, bell pepper, carrot, potato and onion. Boil for 15-20 minutes, then, add the tomatoes (canned diced tomatoes) and spices: cumin, basil, oregano. (if you have fresh herbs basil ,oregano etc. – add them at the end). Let the soup boil for 10-15 more minutes and then, just before serving add the finely chopped dill.
- 4. Serve warm, with toasted bread or garlic bread.