Moist, succulent and delightful cake.
This recipe contains butter, sugar, eggs, milk (buttermilk), vanilla extract, flour (semolina), baking powder, almonds (sliced), , water, sugar, lemons
8 servings servings
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 30 min
- 125g butter, softened
- 150g sugar
- 4 eggs, yolks separated from whites
- 500g sour milk or buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 400g semolina
- 1 tbs baking powder
- 100g flaked almonds for topping
- 200ml water
- 200 g sugar
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1. For the syrup: mix all ingredients, bring to the boil, then reduce the flame and cook over low heat for 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- 2. For the cake: Beat butter and sugar for 4 minutes until light and creamy. Stir in egg yolks one at a time, combine.
- 3. Add sour milk and vanilla extract, mix and combine. Gradually stir in semolina mixed with baking powder.
- 4. Beat the egg whites into stiff peaks. Add to the semolina mixture, lightly stirring after each addition until completely combined.
- 5. Line with parchment paper a baking rectangle shape (about 25x25cm) and cover evenly with the cake batter.
- 6. Bake the cake in a preheated oven at 180˚C /350F for about 35 minutes or until done (the trick with a toothpick).
- 7. Prick the still hot cake with a toothpick and pour the cooled syrup over it. Leave the cake in a pan until cool, then sprinkle with flaked almonds.
- 8. Cut the cake into squares and serve.