Un Assaggio's Lasagna Bolognese
Lasagna Bolognese is rich and flavorful, in a way that can't be achieved by taking short cuts. The lasagna can be made vegetarian by substituting portobello mushrooms for the beef and sausage.
This recipe contains pancetta, chuck ground, sausage (italian), onions, carrots, fresh garlic, red wine, beef broth, tomatoes (crushed), tomato paste, italian seasoning, crushed red pepper, bay leaves, shredded mozzarella cheese, white chedder cheese, ricotta cheese, lasagna noodles, salt, pepper
8 - 10 Servings
Prep time: 25 min
Cook time: 3 hr
- 1/4 cup(s) pancetta, diced
- 1 lb. ground chuck beef
- 6 oz. Italian sausages, removed from the casing
- 1/2 whole onion, diced
- 2 whole medium carrots, diced
- 2 clove(s) garlic, minced
- 1 cup(s) red wine
- 1 cup(s) beef stock
- 1 can(s) 28oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tbsp. Italian seasoning (herb blend)
- 1 tsp. red chili flakes
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 3 1/2 oz. full fat mozzarella, grated
- 3 1/2 oz. white cheddar, grated
- 16 3/4 oz. extra smooth ricotta
- 1 pkg(s) 16oz. box oven ready lasagna noodles
- 1 - 3 ds. salt
- 1 - 3 ds. pepper
- 1. Heat a deep skillet (with a lid) over medium heat, add pancetta and cook for 1 minute. Add ground beef and sausage, season with salt and pepper. Cook and set aside.
- 2. Reduce heat to medium - low and add olive oil to the skillet. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant. Add the carrots and onion, stir frequently and cook until vegetables are soft. Approximately 7-10 minutes.
- 3. Return the meat to the pan. Mix in the Italian seasoning and tomato paste.
- 4. Add the red wine, increase the heat to medium and allow to reduce.
- 5. Add the beef stock and can of crushed tomatoes. Reduce to a simmer, add red chili flakes, remaining Italian seasoning and bay leaf. Check seasoning, add salt and pepper if needed.
- 6. Let the sauce simmer for 2 hours, remove from heat and cool. Remove the bay leaf before assembling the lasagna. Sauce can be made the day before.
- 7. To assemble the lasagna in 13x9 inch baking pan: cover bottom of pan with a thin layer of rage sauce; then one layer of noodles - overlapping the noodles; top with a thin layer of sauce and grated cheese; another layer of noodles; spread the ricotta evenly; another layer of noodles; top with thin layer of sauce and cheese; another layer of noodles; and top with remaining ragu sauce and grated cheese.
- 8. Bake in oven at 350F for 45 mins.