Unstuffed Turkey Cabbage- Sans the Cabbage
Oye veh! I have to tell you that when I decided to make this meal, I actually had no idea what it would turn into! It started with some simple ground turkey meet defrosting on my counter with a big fat “Zero Plan” in place! Out came some curly Kale on its last limbs, garlic, yellow, onions etc. etc. A few spices and adjustments later and I had what looked like the makings of a stuffed cabbage only sans the cabbage! My favorite part of this recipe is that all you need is ONE, you heard it right folks, ONE pot for this dish. Oh wait, cross out the above “favorite” point because it gets better. It tastes even tastier when made ahead of time…zero fuss involved! Now that is what I call a no-brainer for the holidays!!
This recipe contains , turkey, onions (yellow), fresh garlic, tomatoes (crushed), light brown sugar, raisins, kale, lemon juice, salt, quinoa, chickpeas, paprika, garlic powder, pepper, olive oil
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 40 min
- 1 lb. lean all white turkey meat
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 oz. can) can crushed tomato
- 2 tbsp. light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup(s) plump raisins
- 1 head of kale stems removed torn into bite sized pieces (curly or smooth leaves work!)
- squeeze lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup(s) quinoa rinsed and drained (I heard a rumor that quinoa is Kosher for Passover so long it is not touching barley, other grains..etc!)
- 1/2 cup(s) chick peas drained (If you are Kosher for Passover, do not use)
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- Ground pepper
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1. 1.) In a large Dutch Oven or Skillet heat olive oil on medium-high and cook onions for 5 minutes. Add in garlic about halfway through.
- 2. 2.) Crumble in turkey meat, salt, pepper, garlic powder & paprika and brown until meat is cooked through.
- 3. 3.) Stir in kale and cook for 4-6 more minutes until the kale begins to wilt.
- 4. 4.) Mix in tomatoes and brown sugar; bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat and let simmer for 10-15 minutes and cover tightly to let flavors combine and reduce. (It should become a stew like consistency!)
- 5. 5.) During the last few minutes of cooking time squeeze in lemon juice and add in chick peas & raisins.
- 6. 6.) About 10 minutes before turkey-cabbage mixture is done, prepare quinoa according to directions and ENJOY!