Sweet Potato Casserole with Pecan Crumble Topping
This sweet potato recipe leans toward the sweeter side which is a wonderful compliment to all the savory dishes put out on Thanksgiving, but it’s not cloyingly sweet. Orange zest and juice provide a fresh acidic contrast and helps cuts the sweetness down. Pecans in the crumble crust, give a nice nutty flavor and texture.
This recipe contains , sweet potatoes, sugar, milk (evaporated), eggs, oranges, butter, vanilla, juice (orange), , sugar (brown), flour, butter, pecans (chopped), pecans
8 to 10 servings servings
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 30 min
- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- Zest of 1 orange
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup pecan pieces
- Pecan halves for garnish (optional)
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°F. In a a large pot, add sweet potatoes and fill with water until the potatoes are just covered. Bring to a boil, turn heat down and gently boil until potatoes are fork tender, about 15 minutes. In a large bowl add: beaten egg, sugar, evaporated milk, orange zest, 3 tablespoons of butter and vanilla.
- 2. Add cooked and drained sweet potatoes to the large bowl and break up the sweet potatoes with a wooden spoon or a mixer on low speed. Add the orange juice and mix until combined and potatoes are smooth. Put sweet potato mixture into a greased 9 x 5 loaf pan.
- 3. For the crumb topping, mix brown sugar and flour, cut in the 2 tablespoons of butter then stir in the pecan pieces. Cover the sweet potato casserole completely with the crumb topping. Decorate with pecan halves if desired. Bake for 25 minutes.