Swiss Chard and Mushroom Popover Bake
This popover recipe is a savory one. And you’ll get one popover, not a dozen. That’s okay because it’s a big popover. Perfect for brunch, lunch or even dinner, this recipe for Swiss Chard and Mushroom Popover Bake is easy to make, tasty, and gluten free. This recipe was inspired by a Cooking Light recipe.
This recipe contains mushrooms (cremini), chard, olive oil, onions (red), garlic, thyme, rosemary, , margarine, flour (garbanzo bean), milk (low fat), eggs, cheese (provolone), cooking spray, pepper
4 servings servings
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 25 min
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2-1/2 cups Swiss chard, stems removed, leaves torn into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup red onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon rosemary
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1/2 cup Bob's Red Mill Garbanzo Bean Flour
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup shredded Provolone cheese
- Nonstick cooking spray
- pepper to taste
- 1. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
- 2. Add the olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat. When hot, add the onion and mushrooms and cook, stirring, until soft. Add the Swiss chard, garlic, and seasonings, and mix well for a few minutes (be careful not to burn the garlic).
- 3. Remove the mixture from the heat and cover it.
- 4. Spray an 8-inch square baking dish (you could also use a pie plate) with the nonstick cooking spray. Add the margarine and place the dish in the oven until the margarine melts, then remove it from the oven.
- 5. In a medium bowl, whisk together the garbanzo bean flour, milk and eggs.
- 6. Pour the flour mixture into the baking dish and bake for 12-14 minutes, or until it becomes puffy and lightly browns.
- 7. Spoon the Swiss chard mixture to the crust and sprinkle the Provolone cheese over the top. Bake for about 10 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.