Tangy Lemon Chicken with Zucchini Spaghetti
This deliciously simple recipe is quick and easy to make and has less calories than if you would serve it with pasta or rice. (Of course you can if you prefer).
Time: 45 minutes or less
Special Equipment: Mandolin, Lemon Zester, Steamer basket
This recipe contains chicken breasts, shallots, olive oil, lemons, fresh parsley, cooking cream, water, sea salt, black pepper (cracked), zucchini
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 20 min
- 4 whole skinless, boneless, chicken breasts, cubed
- 3 whole shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 whole lemon
- 1 tbsp. finely chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup(s) cooking cream (optional)
- 1 ds. water if necessary
- 1 pn. fine sea salt
- 1 pn. coarse ground pepper
- 3 - 4 whole zucchini, washed
- 1. Using a zester, peel the lemon rind into a small bowl, then cut the lemon in half and squeeze the juice into another small bowl and set aside.
- 2. Add 1 tbsp. olive oil and two thirds of the sliced shallots to a medium saucepan and saute until golden. Add the chicken cubes and saute until slightly golden. Reduce the heat to medium, add 1/2 the lemon rind and all the juice, salt and a generous amount of pepper. Cover and simmer gently - stirring from time to time. (You may want to add a little water).
- 3. Meanwhile, in a very small skillet at 1/2 tbsp. olive oil and fry the remaining sliced shallots until crisp. Set aside.
- 4. Using a mandolin, cut the zucchini into thin "spaghetti" and place in a steamer basket over a medium/large saucepan filled with a little water on the bottom. Steam for approx. 2 minutes - no longer than that otherwise they will become mushy.
- 5. Remove from steamer basket, drain out the water and place the "spaghetti" back in the saucepan with 1/2 tbsp. olive oil and a little salt. Cover and set aside.
- 6. Add the cream and parsley to the chicken and adjust seasoning to taste.
- 7. To serve, place equal amounts of "spaghetti" on 4 plates, topped with a heaping spoonful of chicken and a sprinkle of lemon zest. Decorate plates with a few slices of crisp shallots. Serve immediately.