Tempered Spicy Potatoes
This potato dish is made very often in Sri Lankan households and it's one of my favourites. The authentic Sri Lankan tempered potatoes are not deep fried, but tempered with a little oil. Deep frying the potatoes adds more flavour to the dish. If you prefer the authentic way you can skip the deep frying. I made the vegetarian version of tempered potatoes . The original version has pounded Maldive fish which is a staple in Sri Lankan cuisine.These tempered potatoes can be eaten with rice, bread , string hopper, Sri Lankan hoppers and roti. This dish is very spicy so please adjust to suit your spice level.
This recipe contains potatoes, onions, curry leaves, cinnamon stick, turmeric, mustard seeds, crushed red pepper, salt, oil, oil
Serves 4 servings
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 30 min
- 500g of partially boiled potatoes
- 3 large onions sliced
- 10- 12 curry leaves
- 2 inch cinnamon stick
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2- 3/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1-2 tsp dried red chilli flakes
- Salt to taste
- 1 1/2 tbsp oil for tempering
- oil for deep frying
- 1. Cut the partially boiled potatoes into wedges
- 2. Heat oil in a pan for deep frying and fry the potatoes until its slightly golden brown. Keep the fried potatoes aside.
- 3. Keep a frying pan on medium heat ( I used a non stick pan )and add 1 1/2 tbsp of oil
- 4. Add the mustard seeds , cinnamon stick and curry leaves. Let the mustard seeds pop.
- 5. Next add the sliced onions and cook for 1 minute . Add the potatoes, turmeric and salt .
- 6. Stir fry the potatoes for 5 minutes on low heat until the onions are slightly golden brown.
- 7. Lastly add the red chili flakes cook for a minute .
- 8. Serve warm with rice/ roti/ bread