Vegan tofu scramble with black beans and wilted spinach
I’ve made a lot of variations of vegan tofu scrambles in my time, but this one is hands down my favorite. It’s incredibly tasty with fantastic texture, and is super healthy for you to boot. It’s also easy and quick to make. Can’t argue with that!
This scramble is super low fat since it’s cooked using no oil at all, not even when frying. All of the ingredients are extremely low fat. In fact, what little fat is in the dish comes from the low fat tofu!
This recipe contains tofu (firm), beans (black), spinach (baby), onions (yellow), tomatoes (grape), yeast, turmeric, dill, vegetable broth, black pepper
4 servings servings
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 20 min
- 14oz block of lite firm tofu
- 1 can of no added fat organic black beans
- 5oz bag of organic baby spinach
- 1/2 of a yellow onion
- 8 grape tomatoes
- 2 tbsp of nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp of turmeric
- 1/4 tsp organic dill weed
- 1/2 cup vegetable based broth
- a dash of black pepper
- 1. Dice the onion, and fry it in a nonstick pan over medium heat using about a quarter cup of water (instead of oil). If the water evaporates before the onion starts to brown, you can add a little more water. While the onion is frying, drain the tofu and rinse the beans.
- 2. When the onion is ready, add the tofu into the frying pan. You can break it into chunks by hand, or just chop it up with your spatula as you stir it into the onions. Add the nutritional yeast, turmeric, dill, black pepper, and bouillon.
- 3. Make sure it’s well mixed, but without mashing the tofu so much that it loses its chunkiness. Chop the grape tomatoes into quarters. Add the tomatoes and black beans to the mix.
- 4. Let it all cook for about 15 minutes, turning it over with a spatula about every 5 minutes or so until it starts to brown. Once the mixture is browned, you’re ready to add the spinach. Adding a whole bag will seem like a lot when you put the fresh leaves in, but it’s amazing how much they shrink once they start to cook!
- 5. Once the spinach has wilted into the mix, you’re vegan tofu scramble is done! Serve with fresh greens of your choice on the side (we love arugula) and a piece of toast. No one will ever guess there’s hardly any fat in it!