Vegan Tzatziki - easy & healthy dip
Vegan Tzatziki - easy & delicious dip, great for a healthy snack
This recipe contains cashews (raw), lemons, garlic (fresh), salt, black pepper, water, cucumbers, mint (fresh)
Prep time: 1 hr +
Cook time: 40 min
- 2 cup(s) unroasted, unsalted cashews, soaked in water for 3 hours or more (I soak mine overnight)
- 1 whole lemon's juice
- 2 medium garlic cloves, crushed
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup(s) water
- 1/2 whole cucumber, finely chopped (it will seem like too much, but is not) .
- 2 large handfuls fresh mint leaves, finely chopped (=15g leaves or 25g with the stems) .
- 1. Drain the cashews and rinse them well. Put them in a powerful smoothie maker/blender, or in a food processor if you don't have one. You can use a stick blender, but the result won't be as smooth.
- 2. Add the lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper and water and blitz to a smooth puree. It should have a thick, yogurty consistency and shouldn't need more water. But if so, add it carefully as you don't want to make it too runny. Bear in mind it will thicken in the fridge.
- 3. Add a touch more salt, to taste.
- 4. Transfer to a mixing bowl, or a bowl you'd like to serve it in. Add the cucumber and mint and stir through. Now refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- 5. To make it look fancy, garnish with more mint leaves and tiny pieces of cucumber, a good grind of black pepper and drizzle with olive oil.