Vegetarian Japchae (Korean Glass Noodles w Vegetables)
The last time I made japchae (sweet potato noodles w vegetables) it came out a little bland and the noodles clumped together from not adding sesame oil. But this time, I finally got those two out of the way and made a flavorful dish that the entire family enjoyed..........full story and recipe at http://www.oliviajasonkim.com
This recipe contains glass noodles, onions, garlic, spinach, bell peppers (red), carrots, onions (green/spring), oil (vegetable), oil (sesame), soy sauce, sugar (brown), sesame seed, eggs, mushrooms (shiitake)
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 20 min
- 8~10 oz. Korean glass noodles
- 1 onion, sliced into thin strips
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 bunch spinach, parboiled
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 2 carrots, julienned
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- sesame seeds (garnish)
- 2 eggs beaten, cut into thin strips (garnish)
- 5 shiitake mushrooms (optional)
- 1. Cook noodles accordingly to package directions. Drain well under cold water and 1 tbsp add sesame oil to avoid sticking of noodles. Cut the noodles a few times with a scissors to shorten.
- 2. In a large pan over medium heat, heat 1 tbsp vegetable oil and cook onions with minced garlic for a few minutes.
- 3. In the boiling water, add the spinach and blanch for about 10 seconds. Rinse under cold water and squeeze out excess water by hand.
- 4. Cook remaining vegetables in a little vegetable oil for several minutes, they should retain slight crispness. Keep the heat low until noodles are combined.
- 5. Add the noodles to the frying pan and mix well with all vegetables. Then add sugar, sesame oil, and soy sauce tossing well. Sample the seasoning and adjust according to taste preference.
- 6. In another pan, fry the beaten eggs into a flat pancake and shred into long strips. Separating into white and yellow is also okay.
- 7. Transfer to a serving plate, then garnish with sesame seeds and egg strips.