Vegetarian Mushroom Shepherd's Pie
This dish is an absolutely must-try for all of you vegans/vegetarians who sometimes miss the taste of meat.
This recipe contains potatoes (red), soy granules, mushrooms, carrots, bell peppers (red), onions, dill (fresh), parsley (fresh), eggs, egg substitute, yeast (dry), salt (sea), black pepper, paprika, thyme (dried), oil (sunflower)
Prep time: 25 min
Cook time: 40 min
- 2 1/5 lb. red skin potatoes
- 3 1/2 oz. soy granules
- 2 1/5 lb. mushrooms (your choice) a mix of cremini, portabella and white would work well
- 1 carrot
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 onions, diced
- 1 bunch of dill, chopped
- 1 bunch of parsley, chopped
- 2 eggs (or egg substitutes for vegans, you can also add 3-4 tbsp dry yeast flakes)
- 2 egg substitute (if vegan/vegetarian)
- 3 - 4 tbsp. dry yeast flakes (if using egg substitutes)
- 1 - 3 ds. sea salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp. ground pepper
- 1 tsp. paprika (sweet if you can find it)
- 1 tbsp. dry thyme
- 2 tbsp. unrefined sunflower oil
- 1. Peel potatoes and put them in a large pot filled with water. Boil them until they're tender. Mash them and let them cool for a while. Chop the mushrooms, carrot and red bell pepper. Add them into your food processor and pulse until all ingredients are well mixed together.
- 2. Heat oil in a large skillet. Add the mixture above, diced onions, chopped dill and parsley, soy granules, eggs (or egg substitute) and spices. Sauté for 10 minutes.
- 3. I added the soy granules without boiling them because the mushrooms contain a lot of water and these soy granules will absorb all excess water.
- 4. Put some parchment paper on the bottom of a casserole. Divide the mashed potatoes in two. Place the first half in the casserole and spread it with a spatula. Add the filling. Place over the other half of mashed potatoes.
- 5. Heat your oven at 400˚. Put the casserole in the oven. Cook for 40 minutes. Don't serve immediately. Let it cool for at least half an hour.