Apple, Cheddar and Chicken Melts
These melts, stuffed with chicken, cheddar, and apples, bring together some of the best flavors of the season to satisfy that craving. They're hot and toasty and made in one big batch on a baking sheet, which makes them a simple yet ideal way to cap off a fall day.
This recipe contains bread (sourdough), unsalted butter, honey mustard dressing, chicken breasts (boneless skinless), cheese (cheddar, shredded), apples (gala), brussel sprouts, lemon juice, salt (kosher), pepper
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 30 min
- 8 slice(s) sourdough bread, 1/2" thick
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- 4 tsp. honey mustard
- 2 1/2 cup(s) chicken, cooked and shredded
- 6 oz. cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 whole small gala apple, cored and cut into matchsticks
- 4 oz. brussel sprouts, finely shredded
- lemon juice
- 1 ds. kosher salt, to taste
- 1 ds. pepper, to taste
- 1. Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven, place a baking sheet on the rack, and heat the oven to 450°F.
- 2. Spread the butter evenly on one side of each of the 8 slices of bread. Spread the honey mustard on the opposite side of 4 slices of the bread.
- 3. Using oven mitts, carefully remove the hot baking sheet from the oven. Place all the bread slices, butter-side down, on the baking sheet. Evenly distribute the shredded chicken among the mustard-spread bread slices, then distribute the cheese on the remaining 4 bread slices.
- 4. Return the baking sheet to the oven and bake until the cheese is melted and bubbling, about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, make the slaw.
- 5. Combine the apple, Brussels sprouts, and lemon juice in a small bowl. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- 6. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and transfer the bread slices with the chicken to a cutting board. Evenly distribute the apple and Brussel sprouts slaw over the chicken. Place the remaining bread slices cheese-side down on top of the slaw to close each sandwich. Cut each sandwich in half and serve.
- 7. **Recipe Notes**
Make-ahead: The slaw can be made up to 1 day ahead and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.