Spinach and Chicken Tortellini Alfredo Soup
Creamy, parmesan-loaded tortellini in a chicken broth soup with spinach and chicken.
This recipe contains chicken breasts (boneless skinless), tortellini (cheese and spinach), olive oil, salt (kosher), pepper, onions, fresh garlic, flour (all-purpose), chicken broth, heavy cream, spinach (baby), cheese (parmesan, shredded), crushed red pepper, basil
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 40 min
- 1 lb. chicken breasts, boneless-skinless
- 9 oz. cheese tortellini
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- kosher salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1 whole large onion, diced
- 3 clove(s) garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 4 cup(s) chicken broth, low sodium
- 1 cup(s) heavy cream
- 5 oz. baby spinach
- 5 oz. parmesan cheese, shredded
- 2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1. In a large pot over medium-high heat oil. Cook chicken until cooked through and golden, 3-4 minutes per side, (its okay if undercooked, will finish when you put chicken back) then season with salt and pepper and set aside. Once cool, dice.
- 2. Add onion to pot and cook until soft and golden, then add garlic and cook until fragrant. Add flour and whisk until golden, 2 to 3 minutes, then add chicken broth and half and half and simmer until thickened, 15 minutes.
- 3. Add tortellini to pot and cook until al dente, 5 minutes. Add diced chicken. After a couple minutes add 5oz of baby spinach and 5oz of shredded parmesan cheese. Continue cooking for a few minutes, season to taste, add red pepper flakes for garnish.