Slow Cooker Chicken Rice Soup
An easy chicken soup recipe. All of the raw ingredients go in the slow cooker and a delicious soup awaits for dinner.
This recipe contains chicken (thighs, boneless, skinless), rice (brown), onions, carrots, celery, garlic (fresh), salt, black pepper, parsley (dried), thyme (dried), rosemary leaves, sage (rubbed), bay leaves, butter, chicken broth
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time: 4 hr
- 4 whole chicken thighs, trimmed of fat and cut in half
- 1 cup(s) brown rice
- 1 whole small onion, chopped
- 3 whole carrots, chopped
- 3 whole celery stalks, chopped
- 3 clove(s) garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tsp. salt
- 2 - 4 ds. pepper to taste
- 2 tsp. dried parsley
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp. dried sage
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 2 tbsp. butter, optional
- 9 cup(s) chicken broth
- 1. Place all ingredients in order in a slow cooker, except rice.
- 2. Cook on low for 4 hours. The rice absorbs the liquid and gets white and puffy. If you prefer the brown rice to maintain a more firm shape and texture, add it after 2 hours of cooking.
- 3. Thirty minutes before serving, remove the chicken from slow cooker and shred or cut into cubes.
- 4. Return chicken to the slow cooker, cook for thirty more minutes, and serve.
- 5. Please keep in mind that the rice does absorb the liquid and becomes soft. I think it takes on the texture of a cooked pasta, which I think is good. The chicken, broth, vegetables, and spices in this soup are all delicious and cook beautifully in the slow cooker. If you are concerned about the rice, omit it from the slow cooker and stir in 2 to 3 cups cooked rice (brown, white, or wild) to the soup before you serve it.